Conde Nast Cuts Ties with Two Fashion Photographers

Following disturbing reports published by The New York Times about photographers Mario Testino and Bruce Weber, Conde Nast, the publisher of Vogue, has cut ties with both men.

In the Sunday edition of the newspaper a headline said male models had said that Weber and Testino sexually exploited them.

Both men had been regulars in Vogue and other publications of Conde Nast. The investigation by the Times into the alleged sexual misconduct is what prompted the publisher to take immediate action.

A statement released by the publisher said the company was deeply disturbed by the accusations made and take it very seriously and in light of the accusations will not commission any further work with the two photographers.

The Times articles said that a law firm that represents Testino challenged the credibility and characters of the people who had complained of harassment.

Weber, through his lawyer, said he was saddened and shocked by the claims made against him, which he absolutely denied.

The allegations have been independently verified by several parties. The articles in the Times cited 15 male models who currently work or who had worked with Weber, and 13 models and male assistants who worked with Testino.

It is alleged that Weber asked his models to take off their cloths and then would touch them inappropriately during energy and breathing exercises.

In a statement that Weber gave to the Times he wrote that he has used common breathing exercises and has photographed thousands of models who posed nude during this career, but has never touched any of them inappropriately. He added that given his line of work the untrue and twisted allegations are disheartening.

Testino was accused as well of making advances in a sexual manner to his male models and assistants that included masturbation and groping.

The attorneys representing Testino said they had spoken to several of former employees of Testino who said the allegations shocked them, and could not confirm the claims.

Editor in chief of Vogue, Anna Wintour, who is also the artistic director with Conde Nast, acknowledged through a separate statement that both men were personal friends of hers. She added that she believed in forgiveness and remorse but takes the allegations seriously and the company decided to put a hold on the working relationship with the two photographers.

Other brands followed suit, as Michael Kors, a longtime client of Testino, said it would not use him on future ad campaigns.

Leave a Reply